(Official National Organization of Catholic Universities)
Office of the Rector
University of Santo Tomas, España St., 1008 Manila
c/o Office of Public Affairs
Rm. 104 Main Bldg., University of Santo Tomas
España St., 1008 Manila
Tel.: (02) 731-3544
Tel./Fax: (02) 740-9727
The Association of Catholic Universities of the Philippines is a non-profit, non-stock association, comprising of 29 Catholic Universities. It was founded on April 25, 1973 with Rev. Fr. Leonardo Z. Legaspi, OP, Rector of the University of Santo Tomas, as its first President. It was duly approved and endorsed by the Catholic Bishops’ Conference of the Philippines on May 23, 1973. It confines its policies, programs and projects exclusively to the university level.
1. To promote the quality of education and advance the cause of Catholic education.
2. To promote better coordination and cooperation among its members through mutual consultation on common problems and together find workable solutions therefore.
3. To strengthen the position of Catholic universities in the light of the new constitutional changes in the educational system.
4. To assist in every way, not contrary to law, all agencies concerned with the growth and development of Philippine education.
5. To seek financial assistance for the support of the development programs and projects of the member institutions.
In order to accomplish these purposes, the Association has the authority:
1. To receive contributions, donations, emoluments either in cash, securities, and personal or real property from any person, whether natural or juridical, as well as from government or any of its subdivisions, agencies or instrumentalities, subject to the provisions of Republic Act. No. 4975.
2. To do any and all lawful acts which the Association may deem necessary and proper for the attainment of its goals and purposes.
To date the members of ACUP are:
Angeles University Foundation
Ateneo de Davao University
Ateneo de Manila University
Ateneo de Naga University
Ateneo de Zamboanga University
De La Salle University, Manila
Divine Word University
Holy Angel University
Holy Name University
Notre Dame of Marbel University
Notre Dame University
Regina Carmeli University
Saint Louis University
St. Mary’s University
Saint Paul University
University of the Assumption
University of Immaculate Con¬cepcion
University of Negros
University of San Agustin
University of San Carlos
University of San Jose (Recoletos)
University of Santo Tomas
University of St. Louis
Universidad de Sta. Isabel
University of La Sallette
University of St. La Salle
Membership is open to any Catholic institution of higher learning which has attained full status of a university in accordance with Philippine Law.
The ACUP is officially affiliated as an Associate Member of the Inter¬national Federation of Catholic Universities (IFCU). It has also been represented in various private and public undertakings related to higher education in the Philippines.
The Association’s elected set of officers for 2007-2009 consists of the following:
President: Fr. Rolando de la Rosa, OP (University of Santo Tomas)
Vice-President: Fr. Jessie Hechanova, CICM (St. Louis University)
Treasurer: Fr. Raul Buhay, OAR (University of Negros Occ. Recoletos)
Corporate Secretary: Fr. Gregorio Banaga Jr., CM (Adamson University)
Secretary General: Prof. Giovanna Fon¬ta¬nilla (University of Sto. Tomas)
Fr. Ramonclaro Mendez, OP (Aquinas University)
Dr. Arlyn Villanueva (Holy Angel University)
Bro. Wilfredo Lubrico, FMS (Notre Dame of Marbel University)
Fr. Manuel Vergara, OSA (University of San Agustin)
Fr. Roderick Salazar, SVD (University of San Carlos)
Fr. Anthony Morillo, OAR (University of San Jose Recoletos)